Things you always wanted to know, or should know about dementia, but were too afraid to ask and healthcare professionals are sometimes too frightened to tell you to tell you.
Those with dementia MAY, and I have to STRESS, “” MAY “” show some of these symptoms
Confusion and repeated questions are very common; please remember they are not doing this to” WIND YOU UP”. Every time they ask a question it is the very first time they have asked it, according to them.
- Swearing and Anger; even though they may have never have sworn in their life, they just like you will have heard people swear many, many times. So they know the words and are very familiar with them. Try not to be so shocked, this may be a form of release because their inhibitions have changed.
- Inhibitions; some may start to walk around completely naked in front of others with no conscience whatsoever, they may also start to speak their mind and say exactly what they are thinking and feeling. They may be a lot sharper in tone and lose their temper quickly. This is all born out of frustration.
- 4. Violence; this is a tricky one but has to be spoken about, even the mildest mannered of people may lash out at loved ones and strangers. They may bite, scratch, nip punch, spit at you, kick out or worse, please remember it’s not them, but the disease.
- Incontinence; believe it or not on diagnosis many doctors and medical staff don’t raise the subject. Yes it does happen and for those affected it can have a bad impact on everyday life. Generally incontinence starts with small accidents, small damp patches etc and increases. Please remember the signal from the Bowel and the bladder has been disrupted and the person living with dementia has no idea that the need to ‘go’.
In all honesty, if they KNEW what was happening they would be MORTIFIED as would you, SO NO NEED TO CHASTISE AT ALL!!
- Frustration; Try to imagine you have this disease as in Lewy bodies, and knowing there is no cure, no remedies, and the chance is, you will forget ALL that you hold dear but you can do absolutely NOTHING about it.
Wanting to scream and shout is a huge understatement and why it often happens
Source: It’s time to tell the truth about dementia-By The Purple Angel founder | Care Industry News