- Terry Miller, 57, from Gateshead is the first death to be attributed with vaping
- Ex-factory worker’s body was found to have oils saturating his lungs in 2010
- Vaping linked with 200 health problems including pneumonia, says UK report
- In US 13 people have died due to vaping and more than 800 have fallen ill
A 57-year-old British factory worker has today been named as the first e-cigarette user in the world feared to have developed a fatal disease directly linked to his vaping habit.
Terry Miller, 57, from Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, died nine years ago after developing lipoid pneumonia and doctors said oil from vaping fluid was found in his lungs.
His wife Glynis believes her husband’s death was hastened by his use of e-cigarettes – claiming he was better off still smoking.
Mrs Miller has today called for a new inquest into his death after the first one in 2010 recorded an open verdict.
She says that back then Public Health England did not have the evidence to back up its claim about the safety of e-cigarettes, which are used by 3million people in Britain.
Her husband’s case has been highlighted as a report from the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency said vaping hit the health of 200 British e-cigarette users since 2014.
In America, there are fears that 13 people have died due to vaping and more than 800 have fallen ill – all recorded after Mr Miller died in 2010.