But, where should Mr Hammond’s £2bn actually go?

I agree with your comments, however £2bn is a drop in the ocean compared to the amounts the Government have starved Local Authorities from due to the dreaded austerity cuts.

If MPs and Ministers were doing care work then there would be no problem in providing large salary increases or any other increases as austerity is not part of them. However, none of them would be capable of doing such work as you need to have common sense and be a caring person and not just look after number one.

Poppy's Place

I think I’m supposed to be grateful.

I think all of us disabled, and older people are supposed to say ‘Thank you’ to the Chancellor, Philip Hammond, for his much flaunted, much hyped boost of £2bn for Social Care in yesterday’s Spring Budget.

Well then.

Here goes…

Thank you Mr Hammond, you are so beneficent and generous.

Sure, £2bn is an awful lot of money, and, with any luck it, at least some of should help ease the Care Crisis we currently have in this country, but it can only help if it actually filters down to the people it’s supposed to be helping. My major concern is that it will be shared out amongst all the Social Services Departments, nationwide, and will just vanish into their usual, annual Social Care black hole. We, the older and disabled people who are the ones who are supposed to reap the benefit…

View original post 578 more words

Vulnerable disabled people ‘kept in asylums despite community care pledge’ | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Thousands of people with learning disabilities are still languishing in institutions, despite Government promises to provide care for them in the community in the wake of the Winterbourne View scandal, a report has warned. Around 900 more vulnerable disabled people than previously thought are still being housed in asylums in breach of the pledge, Sir Stephen Bubb, chief executive of the Association of Chief Executives of Voluntary Organisations, has warned.

Source: Vulnerable disabled people ‘kept in asylums despite community care pledge’ | Health News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Should Sheffield City Council close their elderly care homes A view yes or no


Again we see that Sheffield is closing homes on the pretext that it is better for the residents.
Why is the real reason not being published?
To have care homes the following needs to considered:
Care Quality Commission (CQC) registration with the resulting costs in maintaining building and staffing care standards
General maintenance of the building both out and inside structures
Servicing and maintenance of all required equipment
Costs of food, drink, furniture, linen and other items
Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks are required
Management and supervising staffing costs
Care and cleaning staff costs.
Whereas for care in the community only the following needs to be considered:
Management and supervision of Direct Payments staff and auditing procedures
Costs relating to Direct Payments staff, salaries etc.
Moneys to be paid out via Direct Payments
Many costs will be saved by giving people access to Direct Payments.
While many people may wish to be cared for in their own homes, you have to assess the degree of care required.
In a care home the care is for 24 hours, 365 days a year and is costed on this basis. The management and supervision of staff is provided in each home.
How will this be achieved through Direct Payments where 24 hour care is assessed to be required?
The funding is not there for 24 hour care and in most cases not even for 12 hour care.
Depending on the assessment and provision of Direct Payments, how will the care be provided?
The care can be provided by using the Direct Payments to:
Employ a Care Agency, who will provide the staff to care for the person in their own home
Employ care staff recruited by the person requiring care or their appointed representative, if the person requiring care is not capable to recruit and manage staff themselves.
With a Care Agency the management and general supervision of the care staff is the responsibility of the care agency and their compliance with CQC standards.  The care agency will also obtain the CRBs. Although day to day supervision and guidance and adherence to Health and Safety standards in the persons own home  is required by the person requiring care or their appointed representative.  Liability Insurance will also be required, which is the responsibility of the person being cared for.  Maintenance of any mobility aids and other equipment will be down to the person being cared for.
With care staff recruited  by the person requiring care, they or their appointed representative will be responsible for the recruitment, including obtaining references and CRBs.  Also supervision, adherence to Health and Safety standards, maintenance of mobility aids and other equipment and any materials required to administer care is the cared for persons responsibility.  Also not only will liability insurance be required, but it is advisable to have a full insurance package, which will include 24 hour help on employer and employee matters and legal costs should anything need to go before tribunals or courts.
In many cases the person will have already experienced care at home, but when this proves unsuitable, due to health and safety problems relating to the cared for person, it would be then that they are transferred to a care home, but if the council is going to close them all, where is the alternative?
I do not think this action to close homes as been thought through, however if costs are the reason, then will any of the other matters have been considered at all.