In stark contrast to rightwing claims, 93% of demonstrations have involved no serious harm to people or property
One America News really, really wants to replace Fox News as Donald Trump’s No. 1 sycophantic outlet of choice. So when CNN delivered a poll Monday that rattled Trump with its finding that Joe Biden was trouncing him by 14 points nationally, OAN started hyping its own poll as an antidote to CNN’s blockbuster.
On Wednesday, One America News Network chief executive Robert Herring tweeted that the outlet would be releasing a poll that “looks as though it will be in favor of @realDonaldTrump.” Trump was surely hungry for some good news polling after his lawyers sent a threatening letter to CNN ordering them to “cease and desist” from reporting on their poll. CNN’s chief counsel effectively laughed in Trump’s face, writing that it was the first time in his 40-year history at CNN that the outlet had been “threatened with legal action because an American politician or campaign did not like CNN’s polling results.” Typically, added David Vigilante, such threats come from regimes like Venezuela. Oh yeah, and your threat is “baseless,” so buzz off.
President Donald Trump lashed out Thursday at his longtime favorite station, Fox News, and zeroed in on the real purpose of the channel.”Many will disagree, but @FoxNews is doing nothing to help Republicans, and me, get re-elected on November 3rd,” Trump said in a series of tweets. “Sure, there
William Barr has become one of the most polarizing figures in Washington, and the ongoing Ukraine scandal has further thrust the attorney general and his relationship with President Trump under
Fox News host Tucker Carlson asked his viewers Thursday night to consider a hypothetical situation: What if President Donald Trump was sick and tired of being president and plans to sabotage his own chances of winning reelection in 2020?
“It wouldn’t be a crazy conclusion,” Carlson said. “How would you like to spend your 70s locked in the White House?”
The Fox News host then presented examples of what the commander-in-chief could do to doom his prospects of remaining in office for another four years. The segment raised eyebrows at a network that has a cozy relationship with the White House and is known for promoting the administration’s conservative agenda. Trump has in return granted former Fox News contributors with positions in his administration, touting its ratings and singing the praise of its TV personalities at his campaign rallies. Sean Hannity, one of the network’s conservative pundits, acts as an informal adviser to the president and even joined Trump onstage at his final rally before the midterm election last fall.
But Carlson, who is in the midst of an advertiser boycott after the liberal media watchdog group Media Matters for America unearthed old recordings of him making racist and sexist remarks, has not avoided criticizing the president. In a December interview with a Swiss magazine, Carlson said Trump was “not capable” of achieving his goals and has not kept his campaign promises. The host has also criticized the president for suggesting guns should be confiscated from individuals deemed to be dangerous, even if it violates due process, and for hinting at a deal to protect young undocumented immigrants.
Although some of the network’s hosts have criticized the president, most notably for the deal Trump reached with Democrats on immigration and border security to avert a government shutdown and for his decision to withdraw all U.S. troops from Syria, Carlson’s suggestion that Trump may be deliberately trying to lose in 2020 to avoid a second term marked an exquisite escalation of his criticisms and a sharp departure from the network’s usual coverage.
Donald Trump had a terrible weekend. The Washington Post reported that Donald Trump concealed the details of five meetings with Putin and that he even went so far as to physically take possession of interpreter Marina Gross’ notes, further instructing her not to speak to anyone about the contents of the meeting, not even senior White House or State Department officials. That’s rather damning behavior on the face of it. Why wouldn’t Trump want his closest national security advisers to be aware of the content of the discussion between him and Putin?
As media outlets worldwide blasted out this bombshell of a story, Trump turned to good ol’ reliably friendly Fox News in an attempt to take control of the media narrative and diminish the obviously damning news. He called in to speak with Fox host Jeanine Pirro, whose dedication to Trump rivals that of Sean Hannity. He was obviously expecting fluff questions, and Pirro delivered, but even then, he couldn’t help himself. When asked directly whether he was working for Russia, he just couldn’t bring himself to say no. Seeing the negative headlines that resulted over the past 24 hours, he addressed the issue when asked again this morning and finally said, “No, I never worked for Russia,” before berating the reporter for even asking the question. You can see this exchange below.
But, let’s get back to the Pirro interview, because he did something else remarkable during the call: He suggested that the Fox News host and other media look into Michael Cohen’s father-in-law. Here’s the full exchange between Pirro and Trump, discussing Michael Cohen’s upcoming public testimony before the House Oversight Committee. [Shout-out to Daily Kos community member KeithDB for the transcript and felony details; join the community discussion in his post here.]
Donald Trump is “ready, willing and able” to negotiate an end to the partial government shutdown that stretched into its 11th day and a new calendar year on 1 January, but insists any agreement include funding for “a good old fashioned wall” on the US-Mexico border.
The political gridlock is therefore set to continue into the new session of Congress on Thursday and probably beyond, as Democrats refuse to agree to taxpayers’ money for a wall and intend to introduce their own legislation to reopen the government without such funding.
The Democrats are preparing to take control of the House of Representatives on Thursday. They will vote quickly on several bills to reopen the government, while Republicans insist they will not pass any such legislation in the Senate, which they still dominate, that the president will not sign.
Trump seemed resigned on Tuesday morning to the continuing stalemate. He tweeted: “The Democrats, much as I suspected, have allocated no money for a new Wall.”
Trump had earlier told Fox News in a year-end TV interview that he was “ready to go” on any deal, despite there currently being no prospect of one.
“I spent Christmas in the White House, I spent New Year’s Eve in the White House,” he said. “I’m here, I’m ready to go, it’s important. A lot of people are looking to get their paycheck.”
Adding that Democratic congressional leaders Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi “can come over right now” and “could’ve come over anytime” to try to hash out a solution, Trump said: “I’m ready to go whenever they want.”
Trump has not reached out to Schumer and Pelosi directly through normal political channels, however, and spent the festive period slamming them on social media and trying to blame the Democrats for the government shutdown. This despite a meeting in the Oval Office earlier in December where Trump, in a highly unusual move, told Schumer and Pelosi that he would be “proud” to take responsibility for shutting down the government over the funding row for the wall.
News host describes White House ‘deception’ as ‘mind-boggling’: ‘Why is it lie after lie after lie?’
Donald Trump and his media allies have convinced millions of Americans that there’s no such thing as the truth